Monday, December 13, 2010

Skyrim to use new game engine

I don't typically watch Spike's VGAs for a number of reasons, but this year I found myself brain dead next to a rather large pile of "Programming in Java" textbooks, with finals on the verge of destroying my life as I knew it. So, I figured, screw it, I'll take a break and watch the VGAs this year, and hope that they'll unveil something I actually care about.

And sure enough, it happened.

As the trailer to Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim played I got goosebumps all over. Then, I began to really hope for something great. And that hope was instantly followed by worry. Ever since Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Bethesda has been using the same old game engine in its games. And now, with Fallout: New Vegas continuing to use the same Gamebryo engine, it's really starting to show its age.

But yet, there's hope! Bethesda has officially confirmed that they will be using a brand new game engine for the Elder Scrolls V. And to make matters even better, the new game engine is being developed internally at Bethesda! This could be reason to get very excited over Skyrim.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim will release on November 11, 2011. No platforms confirmed officially yet, but I would expect Xbox 360, PS3, and PC release most likely.

UPDATE: Bethesda confirmed Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim will release on Xbox 360, PS3, and Windows Live.

No comments: